Recycle Your Christmas Trees At Locations Throughout The Pittsburgh Area
Christmas trees will be accepted throughout the city and at the nine county parks over the next few weeks.
Don’t get your tinsel in a tangle. Your Christmas trees don’t have to sit in your living room or front yard for another month.
The City of Pittsburgh and Allegheny County Parks Department are accepting Christmas trees for recycling. Please note: All lights, decorations, stands and even that pesky tinsel must be removed from trees prior to drop-off.
City collection is being held now through Thursday, Jan. 26. Residents can leave trees near the tree drop-off signs. City drop-off times and locations are as follows:
Public Works Divisions
- Perry North, 1st Division, 300 Kilbuck Road, 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday
- Homewood North, 2nd Division, 6814 Hamilton Ave. (North Dallas Avenue at Hamilton Avenue), 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Saturday
- Hazelwood, 3rd Division, 40 Melanchton St., 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Friday
- West End, 5th Division, 1330 Hassler St. (off Herschel Street and Steuben Street, near Herschel Park), 8 a.m. to 1 p.m. Monday through Saturday
The following City locations will accept trees from dawn to dusk, seven days a week, through Jan. 26:
- Allegheny Center: Sue Murray Swimming Pool Parking Lot #301, Cedar Avenue
- Brighton Heights: Jack Stack Swimming Pool, 600 Brighton Woods Road
- Brookline: Brookline Recreation Center, 1400 Oakridge St.
- Friendship: Baum Grove Parklet, 400 Roup Ave.
- Highland Park: Pittsburgh Zoo & Aquarium, 7370 Baker St.
- South Side: Southside Riverfront Park Lower Parking Lot
- Squirrel Hill South: Prospect Drive Roundabout, Schenley Park
- Sheraden: Sheraden Park Parking Lot, Surban Street
These trees will be recycled into mulch. The times and locations where mulch can be picked up in the city for your gardens in the Spring will be announced at a later date. For more information and a list of city drop-off locations, visit the website here.
County park recycling hours are 8 a.m. to dusk, now through Saturday, Jan. 14, at the following drop-off locations:
- Boyce Park, Soccer Fields Parking Lot, Pierson Run Road, Plum
- Deer Lakes Park, Veterans Shelter Parking Lot, off of Kurn Road, Russellton
- Harrison Hills Park, Parking Lot at Chipmunk and Cottontail drives, Natrona Heights
- Hartwood Acres Park, Middle Road Parking Lot, off of South Ridge Drive, Hampton
- North Park, Swimming Pool Parking Lot, McCandless
- Round Hill Park, Alfalfa Shelter Parking Lot, off of Scenery Drive, Lincoln
- Settlers Cabin Park, Wave Pool Parking Lot, off of Ridge Road, Kennedy
- South Park, Wave Pool Parking Lot, off of Pinto Court, Bethel Park
- White Oak Park, Wedding Garden Parking Lot, off of White Oak Park Extended, White Oak.
Nearly 3,000 trees were recycled during the 2021-22 program, with the mulch used for various purposes throughout the Allegheny County park system’s more than 12,000 acres.
For the list of drop-off locations and more information, visit the website here.