Pittsburgh Magazine offers part-time internships for editorial, marketing and photo/video. To be considered, applicants must be enrolled in an accredited college or university.
Internships are unpaid and generally last for 13 weeks. Interns, who normally work 10-20 hours per week, must receive college credit in exchange for their time and are acknowledged in the magazine’s masthead.
Please review the position descriptions below.
Our editorial interns have gone on to intern at numerous local and national outlets, including WESA, Pittsburgh City Paper, KDKA, Carnegie Mellon University, Sampsonia Way Magazine, Pittsburgh Penguins, Pittsburgh Ballet Theatre, PublicSource, Pitt Med Magazine, CBS Evening News, ABC News, The New York Times, Harvey Klinger, Great Lakes Publishing, Publishing Solutions Group, National Book Foundation, Conde Nast Traveller, Game Informer Magazine, Martha Stewart Weddings and Chronicle of Higher Education.
They have gone on to work at local and national outlets including the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette, UPMC, Times West Virginian, Pittsburgh Jewish Chronicle, The Northside Chronicle, Bustle, ModCloth, Scholastic, Men’s Health, Minneapolis Star Tribune, CNBC and National Geographic.
- Fall 2021: May 30, 2021
- Spring 2022: Nov. 1, 2021
- Summer 2022: Feb. 4, 2022
- For the editorial/photo/video internship: Please send a resume and work samples to Director of Digital Media Richard Cook: email@example.com
Please note applicants should have experience from a college journalism class, or, ideally, published clips.
- For the marketing internship: Please send a resume and cover letter to Events Coordinator Caite Miller: firstname.lastname@example.org
The marketing intern assists the magazine with events and event planning, e-newsletter distribution, market research, collecting and analyzing data, community outreach, social-media development, mass mailings, sponsor and client outreach and magazine launch preparations.
- Prepare materials for events including signage, registration, name tags and other needs as requested
- Attend events and assist with registration and event photography and represent the magazine as part of the staff
- Assemble e-newsletters and schedule
- Collect and analyze data from e-newsletter campaigns to generate reports for sales team
- Create Pins, tweets and Instagram posts to disseminate magazine content
- Prepare materials for monthly magazine launches
- Provide support and assistance in preparing sales and marketing materials as needed
- Assist with sales-lead research and other magazine needs as requested
- Manage outreach requests including donation submissions and program ad creation
Requirements: Students who are in marketing, advertising, communications and related academic tracks are encouraged to apply.
Editorial interns support the editorial staff by contributing content, conducting research and verifying information in articles. We expect editorial interns to share ideas for stories, social media and other areas of the magazine.
Each semester, we typically hire one-two interns for The 412, our daily blog, one-two interns for our Weddings magazine and blog, one intern for our
Home magazine and blog, and one intern for general editorial content. All interns can cross between departments during the semester.
Hours are flexible but we do ask interns spend the majority of their assigned hours at our office during normal business hours, Monday-Friday.
- Editorial interns are responsible for writing, editing and researching/fact-checking stories for print and online.
- Most interns contribute one or more stories per week to one or more of our online outlets and are encouraged to pitch and write stories for print.
- PM hosts numerous events throughout the year, and interns are encouraged to attend and/or assist.
- Interested students should be studying a field related to journalism, English or communications; we accept applications from students in other tracks but prefer that they have prior experience in writing, reporting, fact-checking and editing.
- It’s important they have previously published clips as we expect them to come in knowing how to write a well-sourced story.
- We expect that our interns will pay attention to small details and style points and be comfortable with handling a variety of editorial projects.
- Applicants should have a penchant for learning as well as topnotch writing and editing skills.
- Familiarity with photography or video-editing software is a plus.
The photo/video intern will contribute photographs for print and web and may work on more long-term projects throughout the semester.
- Students should be studying photography, photojournalism or a related subject.
- Students should have their own equipment and be prepared to travel.
- Students should be proficient in editing software, such as Lightroom.
- In addition to supplying a resume and cover letter, applicants should submit samples of their work.