Pittsburgh Magazine is seeking an editor who will lead a talented and diverse staff and contributors in capturing the essence of Pittsburgh in print and online. This full-time management position is based at the magazine’s Washington’s Landing office. A journalism degree or related field and 10 years of publication editing and management experience desired.
Researching and developing story ideas pertinent to the region, editing all areas of magazine and ancillaries, heavy collaboration with design and maintaining a close working relationship with production and management. Excellent creative skills and strong headline and deck writing are essential.
Serve as a key member of the executive management team of magazine, with the publisher and advertising director, contributing to business strategy and development of new print, online and event products.
Editorial and art budget responsibility, including establishing and maintaining contracts for contributing writers/columnists along with oversight of photographers and illustrator agreements. Generate column and article ideas.
Plan, develop and oversee content for Pittsburgh Magazine in all its communication channels (print, web, digital edition, eNewsletters, social media, video, etc.).
Oversight of editing and proofing all brand content for grammar, style, accuracy and clarity.
Plan and write editorial calendar for media kits annually.
Work with the publisher to improve the magazine. Act as an ambassador of the magazine in the community, establishing partnerships and collaborations that lead to growth and development of audience and brand.
Desired attributes include:
Excellent people management skills.
Advanced knowledge of Pittsburgh, its history, unique qualities and stories.
Advanced appreciation of food, the arts, popular culture and an understanding of the people of Pittsburgh and the tastes of Pittsburgh Magazine audiences.
Advanced ability to follow and shape stories at various stages of development.
Advanced news journalism experience and news judgment; understands lifestyle and community topics from a journalistic point of view.
The ideal candidate will be:
- conscientious and energetic, reliable in his/her own responsibilities
- willing and comfortable serving as a public face of the magazine.
- flexible and collaborative
- full of ideas: an energetic yet collegial brainstormer
- digitally savvy and familiar with a variety of online environments and tools
- a meticulous and detail-oriented person who wants to get every fact right
Bachelor’s degree in Journalism, English or a related field, strong writer/editor, 10+ years of editorial experience, goal driven with the ability to adapt to change and to new opportunities, ability to work independently as well as a team and community member, strong attention to detail, ability to meet deadlines, interest in and willingness to learn, and interest in and willingness to stay engaged in new audience-driven analytics and social media.
- Strong project- and time-management skills, with the ability to prioritize multiple projects and manage daily and weekly deadlines.
- Ability to organize and plan projects, and meet deadlines.
- Ability to analyze reader/user feedback and respond appropriately.
About Our Company:
Pittsburgh Magazine was founded in 1969 by WQED Pittsburgh and was acquired by Wiesnermedia LLC, a Denver-based publishing company, in 2009. Pittsburgh Magazine is the No. 1 magazine in Pittsburgh, with more readers, online visitors and advertisers than any other. Built on a foundation of independent, quality journalism, the Pittsburgh Magazine brand is a trusted information partner for our most engaged residents and visitors.
Please email a cover letter (including compensation requirements) and resume email@example.com.
No phone calls, please. Letters without compensation requirements will not be reviewed. Only qualified candidates will be contacted. For more information on Pittsburgh Magazine, please visit pittsburghmagazine.com. EOE.
Pittsburgh Magazine, ranked as the No. 1 magazine in the region with more readers and advertisers than any other, has an opportunity in our sales department. We are seeking an experienced and highly motivated person with a vision and interest in the media world. The right person will contribute to Pittsburgh Magazine’s growing digital advertising business and will benefit from our 50-year history and standing as one of the most trusted media companies in Pittsburgh.
S/he will be able to demonstrate a pattern of success in building revenue and establishing relationships. The ideal candidate will have experience in media sales, including a basic understanding of digital, print and event sponsorship and advertising. This position will oversee an established territory as well as develop new business. Pittsburgh Magazine offers a competitive compensation and benefits package.
The account executive will:
- Retain current advertisers through exceptional customer service and in-person meetings
- Actively seek new business through competitive research, online research, and networking.
- Incorporate multimedia products and services where appropriate.
- Maintain high levels of networking, appointments and prospecting activity
- Meet monthly sales goals
- All client communication must be documented daily in CRM
- Book all ads, manage revenue, and ad production in CRM
- Provide timely and accurate forecasting to Advertising Director on a weekly basis
- Close all business by appropriate deadlines
- Submit advertiser materials by ad material deadlines
- Attend weekly sales meetings, sales training meetings, magazine events and weekly 1-1’s.
- Proficient computer skills: Powerpoint, Word, Excel, Video Conferencing
We request that interested parties please include compensation requirements.
Compensation & Benefits:
- Base salary plus commission and bonuses
- Competitive benefits package
- Outstanding company culture
Send resume and cover letter to: firstname.lastname@example.org