Kick Off Your Independence Day Weekend with Free Music on the South Side
SouthSide Works will host a free music series featuring local and international artists.
As more outside activities return this summer, SouthSide Works will host a free weekly event starting July 2 called Music on the Mon.
To kick off the summer, live music, movies, food and other activities will be held at SouthSide Works in a riverside green space across from American Eagle’s headquarters.
Local musical acts will include Century III, Hot Mass, Brittney Chantele and Arie Cole. Pete Spynda, producing director at event sponsor Hearcorp, says they also scheduled international acts such as Mourning [A] BLKstar, Kaleta and Super Yamba Band, and Cimafunk.
Not only will there be live music, but Music on the Mon will also include outdoor activities such as lawn games and movie nights featuring Pittsburgh-centric movies. A bar is tentatively planned for the event.
Spynda hopes the events will help bring awareness to local artists, especially given how the event industry changed due to the COVID-19 pandemic.
“The pandemic has taken a toll on a lot of artists,” Spynda says. “I may have multiple jobs, but being a DJ and promoter is a big source of my income. So to that extent, I think it’s really important that people don’t forget about these local artists and give them a platform to play.”
Spynda says SouthSide Works and Hearcorp will work to ensure Music on the Mon will follow COVID-19 regulations, while also making sure the event is still entertaining to attendees. Spynda is working with the city zoning board to calculate the limit of allowed attendees and encourages people to bring blankets to socially distance on the lawn space.
“We tried to put together a line-up that does a good representation of local and national acts,” Spynda says. “We’re hopeful it is going to be a safe environment for people and excited that every week is different. It’s going to be a high energy event.”
Music on the Mon schedule (subject to change):
- Friday, July 2 – Bill Deasy & Ferdinand the Bull
- Friday, July 9 – SoundGirls presents: Lady Beast, Century III and Sierra Sellers, Skye Light Music & DJ
- Saturday, July 17 – Honky Tonk Jukebox w/ Jon Bindley and friends
- Friday, July 23 – Joe Keyes and the Late Bloomer Band with Byron Nash
- Friday, July 30 – Misra Records Showcase (artists TBA)
- Friday, Aug. 6 – Hot Mass
- Friday, Aug. 13 – Anbessa Orchestra, Big Blitz & DJ set by Selecta
- Saturday, Aug. 14 – Squonk
- Friday, Aug. 20 – Mourning [A] BLKstar, Brittney Chantele, & DJ set by Arie Cole
- Friday, Aug. 27 – Kaleta and Super Yamba Band with special guest The Flow Band & DJ set by SMI of Afroheat
- Saturday, Sept. 4 – Cimafunk with special guests Hugo Cruz & Caminos & DJ set by Huny
- Sunday, Sept. 19 – The Vandoliers