The Top Five HOME Stories of 2018
Take a look back at the biggest stories to come out of Pittsburgh’s home and design industry.
photo by alexander denmarsh
From the winning home in our Best of Design contest to a secret oasis on the Allegheny River, there was a lot to see — and gather inspiration from — in Pittsburgh’s home and design industry in 2018. As we head into 2019, take a look back at the five most popular HOME and Nest stories from the last year.
1. Best of Design: Best New Home Winner: A mountain-modern home built into the hillside of a reclaimed mining site in Peters Township became the dream home for a family of five.
2. Best of Design: Best Renovated Home Winner: Cory Cope and Jennifer Owen spent 10 years renovating a former power station on the North Side into their dream home.
3. Inside Choderwood — A Hidden Oasis on the Allegheny River: Steve Choder and Jody Noble-Choder created a secret garden within their whimsical riverside retreat tucked in the middle of an urban area.
4. Lesson Learned — How Design Changed a North Allegheny Classroom: Frustrated by his sterile white classroom, teacher Greg Geibel earned an A+ from students when he transformed the space into something resembling a modern coffeehouse.
5. My Favorite Room: HOME goes inside KDKA-TV personality Heather Abraham’s renovated kitchen.