No-Bake Pumpkin Pie
A silky smooth pie that will give you potluck star status this Thanksgiving.
Photo by Leah Lizarondo
It’s almost Thanksgiving Eve. Your friends are posting about baking marathons, turkey frying woes and “the best stuffing” wars on Facebook. You? You still haven’t decided on what to bring to your potluck and Homer Simpson’s “You don’t win friends with salad” was the soundtrack to last night’s nightmare.
Don’t fret. This recipe is your savior. A no sweat, no bake, full-on delicious silky pumpkin pie. You can make this while doing your hair, painting your nails or working on your fantasy football team. You’re gorgeous, you’re a fantasy winner and you brought a goshdarn great pie to Thanksgiving dinner.
It’s how you roll, yo.
No-Bake Silky Pumpkin Pie
Yield: One delicious pie. Boom.
- 1 cup macadamia nuts
- 1 cup pecans
- 1 cup medjool dates, pitted
- 1 tsp. sea salt
- 1 3/4 cups So Delicious Coconut Nog or Vanilla Flavored Coconut Milk
- 1 can organic pumpkin or 1 3/4 cups mashed roasted pumpkin
- ¼ cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp. vanilla
- 1 tsp. pumpkin pie spice
- 2 packets unflavored gelatin or 5 tsp. agar-agar dissolved in ¼ cup hot water
Optional but we like gilding lilies when we can …
- Additional maple syrup for drizzling on top (it will create those swirly patterns that cause pie slices to go from $4 to $8 apiece)
- Pecans and whipped cream to garnish
Make the crust
1. Prepare a springform pan by lining the bottom with parchment and lightly greasing the sides with coconut oil.
2. Process the nuts into small pieces with salt in a food processor. Add the dates and process until combined and sticky.
3. Press the mixture into the pan, extending to the sides of the pan to make a “deep dish” (Hey, we want a lot of this per slice, not some measly serving).
4. Place in the freezer for a couple of hours to set.
Make the filling
1. Bloom or melt the gelatin in the hot water. Set aside.
2. Mix the rest of the ingredients thoroughly in a bowl.
3. Add the gelatin mixture.
4. Pour on the prepared crust. Let set in the refrigerator for at least 4 hours.
Make the whipped cream
Slice, top with whipped cream and some pecans, sprinkle with cinnamon.
Bask in the oohs and ahhhs …