How to Keep Your Holidays Healthy This Season
Nothing ruins the holidays like too much stress, gaining weight or getting sick. Avoid these winter woes by following the tips below to ensure a happy and healthy holiday season.
How to avoid gaining weight:
- Keep yourself moving. Take a short walk or participate in another activity that keeps you on your feet.
- Watch your portions by always using a plate to avoid consuming too many calories.
- Enjoy a healthy snack before going to a party to avoid over-indulgence.
- Slow down when you eat to give your body more time to realize that you are full.
How to diminish stress:
- Exercise for at least a few minutes each day.
- Eat simple, healthy foods and avoid sweets to increase your energy levels.
- Avoid caffeine, which can lead to an unhealthy “crash” and more stress.
- Get a full night’s sleep to rejuvenate both your mind and body.
How to defend yourself from the flu:
- Get a flu shot. Everyone is at risk of catching this virus, especially those who frequently come into contact with others.
- Wash your hands frequently with soap and warm water for at least 20 seconds.
- Use disposable tissues to avoid spreading germs.
- Get a full night’s sleep to ensure your immune system is fully rested.
For a referral to a physician at Allegheny Health Network, please call 412.DOCTORS (412.362.8677).