Five Things Not to Miss at Picklesburgh This Weekend
The two-day festival celebrating pickles returns for the second-year in a row.
photo by David Kent via Flickr creative commons
The Rachel Carson Bridge will turn into a pickled paradise this weekend as Picklesburgh returns July 15-16. Featuring local music, food, artists and a giant Heinz pickle balloon, we break down why the two-day festival is quickly becoming a Pittsburgh vlasic…er..classic.
- Pickle Your Tastebuds: Picklesburgh will feature over 20 food vendors ranging from savory snacks from local favorites like BRGR and Meat and Potatoes to sweets with a pickled twist – Fab Cookies will feature peanut butter pickle cookies and pickled cupcakes. There will also be plenty of dips and relishes to keep the pickle celebration going in your home.
- Crunchy Crafts: When H.J. Heinz promised a free souvenir to anyone who visited his exhibit at the 1893 World’s Fair, the Pickle Pin became a legend. Now you, too, can have a pickle memory that will last a lifetime. Local artists will be on hand to sell keepsakes like ornaments, coasters, jewelry and bags.
- Dill Demos: Attending Picklesburgh gets you more than just eating pickled products, you can learn to make them, too. Experts will be on hand to give instructional how-tos on pickling your favorite foods. Everyone can leave the festival a pickle pro.
- Juice Joust: Pickle lovers can put their stomachs to the test by entering the Pickle Juice Drinking Contest on Saturday. Contestants can enter one of five preliminary rounds where winners receive a prize package. At the end of the day, the five remaining contestants will face-off with the goal of winning $500… and more importantly being crowned the 2016 Official Pickle Juice Drinking Champion.
- Pickled Performers: While browsing the vendors along the Rachel Carson Bridge, attendees can listen to the sweet sounds of local musicians performing on the BKY Mellon Stage from 12 p.m. to 10 p.m. both days. Performers include Nevada Color and ATS on Friday and Emerson Jay and Donora on Saturday.