Be Your Own Bartender
Drink tax got you down? Here are five drink recipes you can shake up at home.
This elegant gin drink gets a festive touch from bubbly champagne.
- 1 ounce gin
- 3/4 ounce fresh lemon juice; reserve peel for garnish
- 3/4 ounce simple syrup (It’s easy to make yourself! Boil 1 cup water. Stir in 2 cups sugar. Once the sugar is dissolved completely, remove the pan from heat. Allow to cool and bottle.)
- 2 ounces dry sparkling wine, such as brut champagne, chilled
In a cocktail shaker, combine gin, lemon juice and simple syrup. Add 1 cup of ice and shake vigorously. Strain into chilled champagne flute and top with sparkling wine. Garnish with a long, thin spiral of lemon peel.
Potent ginger beer gives this cocktail a warm and spicy kick.
- 2 ounces vodka
- 1/2 ounce fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces ice-cold ginger beer
- Lime wedges for garnish
Combine vodka and freshly squeezed lime juice in a tall glass half-filled with ice. Fill with ginger beer (use a spicy, potent brew such as Reeds Ginger Beer, available at Whole Foods Market). Garnish with a wedge of lime.
Zingy fresh lemon juice and citrus vodka make this martini memorable.
- 1 ounce vodka
- 1 ounce Absolut Mandrin
- 1-1/2 ounces fresh lemon juice; reserve peel for garnish
- 1/2 ounce simple syrup
- 1/2 ounce triple sec
Combine ingredients in a shaker filled with ice cubes.
Strain the drink into a chilled martini glass rimmed
with sugar and garnish with a spiral of lemon peel.
An easy way to turn coffee into decadence-in-a-cup.
- 3/4 ounce Baileys Irish Cream
- 3/4 ounce Kahlua
- 4 ounces hot coffee
- Whipped cream
Pour Baileys Irish Cream and Kahlua into an Irish coffee glass. Fill glass with hot coffee. Top with whipped cream.
Easy Planter’s Punch
This fruity, festive cocktail recipe multiplies easily and is the ultimate party drink.
- 4 ounces pineapple juice
- 2 ounces orange juice
- 2 ounces freshly squeezed lime juice
- 2 ounces dark rum
- Splash of triple sec
- Orange slices and maraschino cherries for garnish
Combine the juices and the rum in a cocktail shaker with plenty of ice and shake until completely chilled. Pour into a tall, slender glass, and top with a splash of triple sec and a squeeze of fresh orange. Garnish with an orange slice and a maraschino cherry.