Allegheny County Restaurants, Bars to Close for One Week

Establishments may still offer take-out and delivery services under the new order.
Spirits Tales Feb20

PHOTO BY LAURA PETRILLA

After a spike in COVID-19 cases that included a record-setting 233 new cases announced Thursday, Allegheny County is ordering a one-week closure of all bars, restaurants and casinos. 

The new order, announced Thursday by county health department director Dr. Debra Bogen, also calls for the cancellation of all activities and events with more than 25 people in attendance for the same one-week period. 

Food establishments may still offer take-out and delivery during the closure, which goes into effect at 12:01 a.m., Friday, July 3. 

In addition to the order, Bogen also recommended voluntary stay-at-home protocol for area residents. While not part of the order, limiting travel to necessities and other mitigation measures are intended to further reduce the spread of COVID-19, she says. 

“I know that people were angry and frustrated with recent developments including the surge in cases, the prior order and recommendations, as well as the state mask order,” Bogen says in a press release. “I also realize that this newest order won’t make any of that better but as Health Department Director, I am charged with protecting, promoting, and preserving the health and well-being of all county residents, particularly the most vulnerable.”

Thursday’s order is in addition to the already-established restrictions for on-premise alcohol consumption at county bars and restaurants. Earlier this week, Governor Tom Wolf also signed a new order that makes wearing a mask in public mandatory.  

Categories: Eat + Drink Features, The 412