98 Great Finds
See why Pittsburgh is such a fantastic shopping destination as 98 great finds for spring are uncovered.
Navigating the city’s retail spots is a wonderfully endless journey of discovery. From the oh-so-fabulous jeans to a funkier-than-thou fedora, fashion and style editor Reese Randall uncovered the finds of the season.
In creating this list of 98 great finds for spring, she confirmed that, indeed, Pittsburgh is a shopper’s destination. There are new boutiques, classic galleries and shopping meccas, all brimming with the latest consumer goods.
Reese shares her shopping-spree experience, driving from neighborhood to neighborhood, unearthing treasures you might not have thought existed.
Reese’s shopping excursion started at Best Made Shoes on Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield and ended at Anthropologie at Galleria in Mount Lebanon. In between, she visited Original Cin and Torque Denim on East Carson Street in the South Side and headed west to Joseph-Beth Booksellers.And that was just day one. There would be three more days.
Finally, a shop-happy Reese prevailed. Following is her fabulous list of the best 98 things for your home, wardrobe and lifestyle this spring.
1) …is how one adoring customer described the “Orb of Power” necklace ($350) by designer Robert Hallett of Robert Hallett Goldsmiths. Made of fine silver with a never-tarnishing matte finish, the ball hangs from a silver coil.
Make Them Melt
2) Slip into a butter brocade cocktail dress ($1,815) by Kevan Hall for a night on the town. Available at Linda Bucci.
The Little Blue Dress
3) Although always in style, the little black dress makes way this spring for the blue slip-dress ($820) with skinny straps by Lida Baday. Available at Victoria.
4) A major score is a denim jacket ($14.50) by Juicy Jeans, found at Avalon Exchange (recycle, trade, sell or buy clothing), where this jean jewel was a steal.
5) Slip into a versatile pair of Japanese denim jeans ($250) by Fortune Denim with Swarovski-crystal trimmed buttons; available at Torque Denim.
6) Mainline jeans with a ribboned back pocket ($198) by Lily Pulitzer; available at Gals on and off the Green.
7) Stretch jeans with sand-washing technique ($139) by Christopher Blue; available at Capriccio.
8) With hand-embellished Swarovski crystal detailing, bottle-cap closure and rubber handle, the Super Flair gumdrop purse ($210) by Littlearth is a sweet indulgence. Available at Roberta Weissburg Leathers.
Specs of Chocolate
9) Chocolate-brown sunglasses ($48) by A.J. Morgan are made for looking deliciously cool in the sun. Available at Anthropologie.
Fit to Be Tied
10) Lace up a pair of red-and-orange walkabouts ($78) by Marimekko and let the energy fuel your sole. Available at Anthropologie.
11) An oval smoky-quartz ring set in rose gold ($1,775) from the Butter Collection by Caesar Azzam of Caesar’s Designs Jewelry Creations has us calling for him by his first name.
12) Animal instincts prevail with a cheetah-print wallet ($30) by Marc Chantal; available at Lucy.
13) Leopard print ballet flats ($59.90) by Steve Madden; available at Ten Toes.
14) Animal-print watches ($55/curved, $85/medium, $65/large) by Jimmy Crystal; available at Debwal.
15) A must-have for weekend getaways is the Holdall ($89) made of jute and cotton. Available at United Colors of Benetton.
16) What’s not to love about a pair of green linen roll-up pants ($198) and khaki button-down shirt ($156) both by James Perse. 17) Comfortable with a clean silhouette, the seashell medallion necklace ($90) by Maren & Ruby and natural bangle bracelets ($45/ea) make for an easy, natural look. Available at Ona.
18) If there is one piece of green jewelry you should wear for spring—or any season for that matter—make it a pair of 18k noble green-tourmaline dangle earrings ($7,200) by H. Stern. Available at Orr’s Jewelers.
Slip of the Wrist
19) Buckle on a smooth leather and silver-braided bracelet ($395) by Elf Craft. Available at Charles Spiegel.
20) Hip design label DSquared2 brings funky fedoras to the scene with a head-turning number with cherry- red leather trim ($295). Available at Moda.
21) Surprise spring must-haves in men’s shoes are black sneakers ($95) by Converse John Varvatos; available at Charles Spiegel. 22) And, white-and-black leather boxer sneaker-boots ($425) by DSquared2; available at Moda.
23) Pave the way in sleek shades, from top : Fillmore aviator shades ($150) by Initium; available at Moda. 24) White-and-silver shades ($325) and tortoise shades ($315), both by John Varvatos; available at Charles Spiegel. 25) Brown Royal shades ($145) by Ted Baker; available at Moda
In the Company of Men
26) At Charles Spiegel, the slate-brown hoodie ($121) by Monarchy,
27) a pair of dark denim jeans ($220) by Iron Army and
28) leather belt ($210) by Orciani are skimming the surface of forward-fashion for him.
29) The blue piping on the short-sleeve white Henley T-shirt ($195) stands out and gets noticed with these 30) straight-leg denim jeans ($525), both by DSquared2. Available at Moda.
31) Style on the links: For her, spikeless red-and-white E-Series golf shoes ($120) by Ecco Golf. Available at Gals on and off the Green.
32) For him, a pair of custom-made, brown-and-white spectator, two-tone golf shoes ($750). Available at Best Made Shoes.
Iced to a Tee
33) Pour a chilled glass of iced tea or a cold beer with hand-painted golf-motif pub glasses ($65/pair) by Smithereens. Available at Gals on and off the Green.
Have a Ball
34) Catching the tournament on TV? Fill this white acrylic golf-ball snack holder ($89) by Tee Zels with your favorite munchies. Available at Gals on and off the Green.
Fans of a Classic
35) Streamlined, simple and ready for a good game of golf with a white-rhinestone raglan polo top ($88) 36) with skort ($88) and o-closure on the waist, both by Isisport Golf, and resort wear
37) with fuchsia baby cable V-neck cotton sweater ($70) by Tehama. Available at Gals on and off the Green.
38) Hold up to 150 of your favorite photos in this 9-inch digital photo frame ($249.95). Select a single shot, thumbnail view or slide show with zoom and pan effects, all while you listen to 39) an iDog Musical Companion ($34.95) for your iPod or MP3 player. His face lights up, ears wag and head tilts all in sync with the beat. Available at The Sharper Image.
Get a Grip
40) Make whipping up a pitcher of lemonade a cinch with easy grip zesters ($6.99/ea) by Zyliss. The balloon-shape design is all about ergonomics and comfortable use. Available at Market District at Giant Eagle.
Birds of a Feather
41) Flock to these wood-and-metal birdhouses ($32/small; $46/large) by Barnstorm. Handmade birds ($7/ea), made of wood, leaves and grass. Available at Tutto Bella.
Taste of Competition
42) Edible sugar-cookie business cards ($24/order of 10) leave your rivals picking up the crumbs. Available at Butter Maid Bakery.
My Cup Runneth Over
43) Keep the tea coming and don’t stop at only one refill with helpful herbal blends. Get Some ZZZ’s (smooth mix of mint and citrus for rest), Get Gorgeous (helps clear blotchy skin with a berry-like flavor) and Get Relief (for digestion, using cinnamon and peppermint) ($11.50/ea) by Republic of Tea. Available at Joseph-Beth Booksellers.
Metal to the Kettle
44) A turquoise porcelain teakettle with an urbane design distinguishes itself as whistle-worthy ($268). Available at Anthropologie.
Rinse and Dry
45) The dish on cotton dish towels ($18/set of three)—such as those from Anthropologie—is that they look good and get the job done.
46) Sturdy, environmentally friendly and machine washable, all-occasion salad bowls ($11.99/ea) by Bambu (orange, lime and blue) are 100 percent bamboo. Available at Market District at Giant Eagle.
Taste the Pyramid
47) Gather friends around to sample 27 mini-bars of deliciously blended and single-variety chocolate from Italy with a tasting kit by Giraudi ($42). Or, sample chocolates from around the world in a tasting pyramid ($56) by Pralus Chocolatier. Available at Mon Aimee Chocolat.
Two for the Money
48) Functional and fancy-free, the two-bottle insulated tote ($21.99) by Built holds water, wine or whatever comes in a bottle, and keeps your beverages chilled. Machine washable. Available at Market District at Giant Eagle.
49) The pot of gold is rich with a copy of The Glass Castle ($14), The New York Times bestseller by Jeannette Walls, from Joseph-Beth Booksellers; and 50) The Art of Friendship: 70 Simple Rules For Making Meaningful Connections ($14.95), by Roger Horchow and Sally Horchow. Need help with the small print? 51) Slip on a pair of green-leaf reading glasses ($28/ea). Available at Anthropologie. Keep your specs in 52) a hand-painted eyeglass tray ($24) by Empress Arts. Available at Cheryl W.
To the Letter
53) Personalize your thoughts with note sets ($14/ea) by Waste Not Paper Co. in rhinestone silver-lime and cherry-branch strawberry. Available at Signatures. Plaid initial travel pouches ($28/large; $22/small) by Objects of Desire. Available at Cheryl W.
A Picture Is Worth a Thousand Words
54) Keep your favorite “words” between your favorite snapshots with these picture-frame bookends ($51/set) by Shabba Décor. Available at Tutto Bella.
Cooking Up Fun
55) Let your kids have their way in the kitchen with the Green Eggs and Ham Cookbook ($16.95) by Dr. Seuss 56) along with the Shake‘n Sort Spice Rack ($14.99), which includes salt, pepper, paprika, oregano and cinnamon (for children 3 and older) by Melissa & Doug. Available at Joseph-Beth Booksellers.
57) Fall in love with felt appliqué short-sleeve T-shirts in navy blue (with dinosaur) and pink (with flower) ($42/ea). Available at Ona.
58) Colorful and fun polka-dot slippers are just right for every tot’s chill time ($26/pair) by Forgotten Shanghai. Available at Tutto Bella.
59) Kids love to see their names in print. Let them practice with note sheets and envelopes ($9.50/50 pack) by Paparte in pink, blue and green. Available at Signatures.
New in Beauty
60) Need to repair limp lashes or get your skin glowing? Smashbox O-glow ($26) uses the natural glow of your skin to flush out your inner shine for a look that’s better than blush. 61) Lash Fusion mascara ($39/ea) conditions lashes; and 62) Cargo botanical lipstick ($20/ea) comes in a 100 percent biodegradable lipstick tube (the carton is made from biodegradable flower paper that’s been infused with flower seeds that can be planted). Available at Sephora.
63) Treat yourself to a sugar body scrub of cane sugar and sweet almond oil ($18). Available at Sephora.
64) Pour your favorite bath cleanser onto shower flower sponges ($6/ea) and gently rub away the stress. 65) Or rejuvenate your skin with botanical body bars in natural scents of pink grapefruit and cucumber with white clay, green tea and sandalwood, mint fennel and ivy ($8/ea).66) Tuck away citrus travel towelettes ($6/10 pack) for a quick freshening-up while on the go. All available at Crabtree & Evelyn.
67) The Fun Tote ($30/ea) by Sondra Roberts holds everything you need, with a special pocket for the ever-important cell phone and other 21st-century supplies. Its patent-leather shell is a great way to shine. Available at Pursuits.
68) Keep dry from the rainy skies and brighten up under a fuchsia umbrella ($9.99) by Totes. Available at Target.
69) In shades such as celery, red, tang and sand, capes ($150)/ea) by Ruana Capes make getting out-and-about stylishly easy. Available at Dales Maxima.
Wet & Wild
70) Make a splash in berry-lemon patent-leather rain boots ($40) by Western Chief Women. Available at Littles.
The Envelope, Please
71) Sharpsburg designer Susan Farber (of Susan Farber Collections) puts her stamp on the envelope bag with the Mezzo Sofia Italian-leather envelope bag with bow ($220); Piccolo Sofia Italian-leather envelope bag in moss ($198); and Piccolo Sofia Italian-leather envelope bag in pistachio suede with chain bow ($210). Available at Carabella.
72) As if plucked from the garden, the magnolia flower on a clutch (or shoulder bag) ($36) by Backyard Oaks blooms with style. Available at Spoiled Chics.
Tote Something New
73) Its circular, yellow-leather handle and durable cotton pouch make trading in your winter bag for this tote ($14.99) by Merona an easy transition. Available at Target.
74) Hunter green and shades of emerald emphasize the unique design of this snap-front clutch ($68) by Sew Pretty with matching belt ($50). Available at Sugar Boutique. 75) Metal handbag ($42) with ribbon trim, kiss-lock closure and Jack Russell terrier painting. Available at Spoiled Chics the Boutique.
Ring Around the Roses
76) Here’s a simple way to spruce up your style. Chic and simple resin rings ($8/ea) in the shape of roses by Adia Kibur. Available at Sugar Boutique.
The Bead Goes On
77) A funky and whimsical handmade beaded necklace ($148) by Tarina Tarantino livens up any ensemble. Available at Original Cin.
78) Bangle bracelets in copper make a statement in wide-cuff rocker-chic styles (ranging from $25-$45). Available at Eon’s Fashion Antique.
Bones About It
79) A multi-bone necklace with a soft, silk-ribbon chain ($300) by Chan Lu is a mix of sugar and spice. Available at Original Cin.
80) Adorn yourself in a 22k yellow-gold and sterling bracelet ($1,895), 81) a 22k yellow-gold and sterling-hammered cuff ($2,100, both by John Hardy) or an 82) 18k yellow-gold crystal and diamond ring ($5,300, by H. Stern), and you’ll be good as gold. All available at Orr’s Jewelers.
Walk This Way
83) Cool, hip and saturated with bold color are plaid Velcro Clippers ($45) by Dr. Scholl’s; available at Lucy. Bulldog yellow sneakers and Phoenix off-white sneakers ($65/ea) by Ed Hardy; available at Littles.
84) Tip-toe about in multicolored ribbon ballet flats ($59.90) by Steve Madden. Available at Ten Toes.
85) Breezy takes on basic in a cream trench coat ($168) with a geometric splash of color by Bica Cheia. Available at Anthropologie.
86) The intense shade of lemon in a short-drape blouse ($228) by Elevenses brightens any wardrobe. Available at Anthropologie.
87) Watercolor-inspired design makes an imprint on a graduated-color skirt ($88) by Cordelia. Available at Anthropologie.
88) A natural essential for spring is the yellow-and-white tulip skirt with blue-banded waist ($88) 89) and yellow floral cap sleeve blouse ($98). Available at Anthropologie.
90) A bright-white blouse ($190) from Trina Turk with 91) a pair of pleated hot pants ($174) by Tibi, both available at Bailey & Bailey, steams up any wardrobe. 92) Add the hipster, oyster patent- leather heels ($64.90) by Chinese Laundry. Available at Ten Toes.
93) You’ll appreciate a much-needed white thermal tank ($50) by Beau & Eros, 94) with navy seersucker pants ($172) by Fashionista for a casual, yet chic look. Available at Original Cin.
95) Lingerie that’s delicate: silk polka-dot cami ($34) and thongs ($22) by Mary Green. Yellow cami and thongs ($42/set) by Honeydew. Both available at The Pussycat.
What Lies Beneath
96) For everyday comfort, slip into a soft camisole ($66/ea) in blue, white and pink, and matching thongs ($16/ea) by Cosabella. Available at Mia Boutique.
97) Make way for clean with Miss Oops dry sponges ($12) to remove deodorant marks, powder and other “oops.” 98) Then get uplifted with the feather light bra ($30) by NuBra for a fuller look. Available at Mia Boutique.