You take the good, you take the bad and you make a list.
The other day I was pondering the fact that Pittsburgh was ranked the most livable city in the U.S. by Forbes, which in turn made me recall that Pittsburgh was also ranked the 29th most livable city in the entire world just last year, which in turn made me recall that we appeared recently on some "fittest city" list, which in turn made me crave cookies. So I went and ate some cookies and then decided to research to see what other lists Pittsburgh has made recently, and even a few we didn’t make.
Let’s start with the lists we made either in 2010, or 2009 if the respective 2010 list hasn’t yet been released:
- 1st most livable city and the 4th fastest recovering city.
- 12th best city for fun.
- 2nd best city for the newly graduated. Don’t ask ME what the age of our mayor when he took office has anything to do with that, but they went there.
- 8th best city for single women: Of course, they start it off with the, "Hey! Pittsburgh isn’t a smoky steel town anymore" language. Even though…
- 5th worst year round particle pollution and 3rd worst daily particle pollution. That’s the best we’ve been in a decade! Unfortunately, this horrible air played a part in …
- 3rd worst skin thanks to air and tanning and smoking. Trifecta of wrinkles!
- 25th fittest city but the 2nd worst city for fitness for men.
- 1st best sports city with the 1st best NHL fan base and the 1st best female NFL fan base (pre-Ben Roethlisberger’s fall from grace). In light of all the drinking we do to celebrate/mourn our sports victories/defeats, I’m surprised we don’t rank higher than the…
- 59th drunkest city.
- 8th best “green” city and we are the 6th best city for recycling.
- 30th most gridlocked road (376 East): I refuse to believe that there are 29 roads in the country more hellish than Parkway East Hell. I’ve always thought Parkway East Hell was the hell all the other hells wanted to be when they grow up.
- 3rd worst city for hair: As a curly haired person whose hair frizzes with 5% humidity, I can verify that this city is super terrible for hair.
- We are either the 65th most dangerous city or the 18th safest city. I choose the second option because it just sounds better.
- 8th best city for working moms but supposedly the 100th best city for moms in general.
There are probably dozens and dozens of other lists Pittsburgh made, but here are a few lists we did not make:
- Top ten worst winter weather cities: I bet we make the top ten once they take Snowmaggedon 2010 into account for the next list.
- Top 20 most miserable cities: Whew! We’re not miserable! But with five cities on the list, Ohio might want to try some happy pills.
- Top 14 worst teeth cities: This pleases me considering some of the toothless folks the local news stations manage to interview most days.
- Top 7 cities for body odor: And joy! We might have bad hair and bad skin and we might be a bit overweight while breathing in some less-than healthy air…but we’re not stinky! Here’s hoping we weren’t number 8.
Surprisingly, my searches for a listing of cities with the most pigeons were fruitless. I was almost 100% sure I was going to find a list and it would say:
U.S. Cities with the Most Pigeons:
1. [GPS coordinates of PittGirl’s current location]