Wow! Pittsburgh Gave Big Like Never Before
The first day of this year's #GiveBigPittsburgh campaign obliterated previous first-day totals.
Pittsburghers were certainly in the mood to give on Giving Tuesday, a nationally recognized response to the holiday spending done on Black Friday and Cyber Monday. As of midday Wednesday, Dec. 2, more than $2.7 million had been donated to 458 Pittsburgh-area nonprofits through the Give Big Pittsburgh online portal.
This is the fourth year that Pittsburgh Magazine has partnered with GiveGab to raise money for these organizations and it’s a record-breaker. In 2019, nearly $1.6 million was raised on the first day, this year that total was topped by another $1.1 million.
“When we started Give Big Pittsburgh four years ago, our goal was simply to create a platform that would help nonprofits raise money and prove that Pittsburgh was the country’s most generous city,” says Pittsburgh Magazine Publisher and Vice President Betsy Benson. “Each year, an increasing number of nonprofits and donors participate in Give Big Pittsburgh, making it Pittsburgh’s single most successful giving event.
“Our nonprofits face a crisis the likes of which they have never seen before. And so our community has responded in a way we haven’t seen in the four years of Give Big Pittsburgh. If we needed more evidence that Pittsburgh takes care of its own with a remarkable philanthropic spirit, look no further than yesterday’s $2.7 million in gifts.”
Nearly 500 Pittsburgh-area nonprofits are registered to receive donations. If you missed out on Giving Tuesday, no worries, the Give Big Pittsburgh website will be open until the end of the year to accept donations. You can also track which charities have raised the most money and which have the most donors.
Here are the top 10 both categories as of midday Wednesday.
- Light of Life Rescue Mission $225,072
- Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh $178,997
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank $99,926
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra $74,667
- National Aviary $71,691.92
- WQED Pittsburgh $64,466
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh $56,006
- Jewish Family and Community Services $55,173
- Animal Friends $52,168
- Jewish Residential Services (JRS) $51,254
- Humane Animal Rescue of Pittsburgh 1,123
- Light of Life Rescue Mission 811
- Greater Pittsburgh Community Food Bank 660
- Animal Friends 628
- Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh 572
- WQED Pittsburgh 494
- Pittsburgh Symphony Orchestra 492
- 412 Food Rescue 488
- National Aviary 354
- Casa San Jose 352