Pumpkin Caramel Pie
Become the hero of your Thanksgiving dinner with this heavenly no-bake dessert.
Photo by Leah Lizarondo
Chocolate Pecan Crust. Pumpkin Caramel. Pumpkin Cream. This must be a sign. I was certain heaven existed.
Eyes closed. Blind faith. In a trance. Speaking in tongues with a litany of ingredients. I set about making pie. Without a recipe. It was like the gods were working through me.
So here it is, my friends, as it was divined: Three layers of goodness topped with sweet liquid gold. As Madonna sang, just like a prayer, it will take you there.
Layer 1 — Chocolate Pecan crust. You know that old debate about pumpkin pie vs. pecan pie? Well have them both. This pie is all about making everyone happy. This crust takes it cue from this Five-Minute Brownie. It’s essentially the same recipe but with pecans and a little coconut oil.
Layer 2 — Pumpkin Caramel filling. This one is the killer. It’s essentially this recipe, with pumpkin puree added, so caramelly and velvety at the same time. It was really hard not to eat it all as I assembled the pie.
Layer 3 — Pumpkin cream. Another variation of this recipe. Coconut whipped cream with a little pumpkin and maple syrup or honey. Again, it was hard not to mainline it.
Topped with the sauce that started it all and some chopped pecans.
It’s the STAR of the dessert table. I know that you will begrudgingly share it but it’s so easy – make two. One for you. One for everyone else.
Chocolate Pecan Crust
- 1 cup pecan pieces
- 1 ½ cups medjool dates, pitted
- 1 T coconut oil
- 1 t vanilla extract
- 3 T cocoa powder
1. Process in food processor until a fudgey dough forms.
2. Press into a pie pan. You can wet the back of a spoon to prevent sticking.
3. Place in the freezer to set.
Pumpkin Caramel Filling
- 1 cup coconut milk (not light)
- 1 cup pureed pumpkin
- 1 cup coconut sugar
- 1 t pumpkin pie spice
- 2 T agar-agar or kanten flakes*
*You can get this at Whole Foods, East End Food Co-Op or specialty stores
1. Place all ingredients in a thick-bottomed pot.
2. Over medium heat, combine all ingredients except agar-agar and bring to a boil.
3. Let boil gently for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4. Add the agar-agar, stir to melt and bring back to a boil. Then let simmer for about 3 minutes.
5. Take off heat and let cool to a warm temperature. The filling will thicken.
6. Pour into prepared crust. The filling will firm as it cools completely.
7. Place in fridge when completely cooled.
Pumpkin Whipped Cream
- ½ cup coconut cream – cold (place in fridge for a few hours or overnight)
- ¼ – ½ cup pumpkin puree
- 2 T maple syrup or honey
1. Whip all ingredients with a handheld mixer until combined.
2. The mixture will be fluffy. Top the cooled pie.
Get the Caramel Sauce recipe here.
The biggest surprise? NO NEED TO BAKE! It’s my thank you in this season of gratitude!