Guidelines for Summer Camps and Programs in Pennsylvania
Camps and programs can take place if they follow rules outlined by the state and the CDC.
With many Pennsylvanians relying on summer programs and camps for childcare, Gov. Tom Wolf has announced health guidance for summer camps and recreation programs.
“We hope that this guidance helps everyone in need of viable options for their children’s care and recreation this summer and eliminates some of the stress and worry associated with the COVID-19 pandemic and how it is affecting our everyday lives,” Gov. Wolf said in the release.
This guidance does not apply to public school-operated summer programs or extended school year services.
The guidance states that:
- Summer programs that provide child care and enrichment and recreational activities for
children and youth are permitted to operate without a waiver in counties in the yellow and green phases provided they follow the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) guidelines.
- Overnight camps and organized team sports may only begin or resume operations in the green phase.
- Summer programs operating in counties in the yellow or green phase must develop a written health and safety plan that follows CDC guidelines.
- Summer programs in counties in the yellow or green phase may hold indoor and outdoor activities.
Staff and participants of summer programs and child care must maintain social distancing and should enact other distancing measures like staggered curbside drop-off and pick-up times.
- Program staff are required to wear masks; however, children and youth do not need to wear masks in child care, youth programs, or camps, although face coverings are still
recommended by the CDC.
- Public playgrounds may be used by child care providers and summer programs offered in counties in the yellow or green phase.
- Public bathing places and other outdoor community pools can operate in counties in the yellow and green phases of the Governor’s phased-in reopening plan, provided they follow CDC guidance for aquatic venues and business operation guidance from the governor.
If you have more questions, check out this FAQs link.