98 Great Finds
See why Pittsburgh is such a fantastic shopping destination as 98 great finds for spring are uncovered.
Photos by Becky Thurner Braddock
(page 1 of 5)
Navigating the city’s retail spots is a wonderfully endless journey of discovery. From the oh-so-fabulous jeans to a funkier-than-thou fedora, fashion and style editor Reese Randall uncovered the finds of the season.
In creating this list of 98 great finds for spring, she confirmed that, indeed, Pittsburgh is a shopper’s destination. There are new boutiques, classic galleries and shopping meccas, all brimming with the latest consumer goods.
Reese shares her shopping-spree experience, driving from neighborhood to neighborhood, unearthing treasures you might not have thought existed.
Reese’s shopping excursion started at Best Made Shoes on Liberty Avenue in Bloomfield and ended at Anthropologie at Galleria in Mount Lebanon. In between, she visited Original Cin and Torque Denim on East Carson Street in the South Side and headed west to Joseph-Beth Booksellers.And that was just day one. There would be three more days.
Finally, a shop-happy Reese prevailed. Following is her fabulous list of the best 98 things for your home, wardrobe and lifestyle this spring.
1) ...is how one adoring customer described the “Orb of Power” necklace ($350) by designer Robert Hallett of Robert Hallett Goldsmiths. Made of fine silver with a never-tarnishing matte finish, the ball hangs from a silver coil.
Make Them Melt
2) Slip into a butter brocade cocktail dress ($1,815) by Kevan Hall for a night on the town. Available at Linda Bucci.
The Little Blue Dress
3) Although always in style, the little black dress makes way this spring for the blue slip-dress ($820) with skinny straps by Lida Baday. Available at Victoria.
4) A major score is a denim jacket ($14.50) by Juicy Jeans, found at Avalon Exchange (recycle, trade, sell or buy clothing), where this jean jewel was a steal.
5) Slip into a versatile pair of Japanese denim jeans ($250) by Fortune Denim with Swarovski-crystal trimmed buttons; available at Torque Denim.
6) Mainline jeans with a ribboned back pocket ($198) by Lily Pulitzer; available at Gals on and off the Green.
7) Stretch jeans with sand-washing technique ($139) by Christopher Blue; available at Capriccio.
8) With hand-embellished Swarovski crystal detailing, bottle-cap closure and rubber handle, the Super Flair gumdrop purse ($210) by Littlearth is a sweet indulgence. Available at Roberta Weissburg Leathers.
Specs of Chocolate
9) Chocolate-brown sunglasses ($48) by A.J. Morgan are made for looking deliciously cool in the sun. Available at Anthropologie.
Fit to Be Tied
10) Lace up a pair of red-and-orange walkabouts ($78) by Marimekko and let the energy fuel your sole. Available at Anthropologie.
11) An oval smoky-quartz ring set in rose gold ($1,775) from the Butter Collection by Caesar Azzam of Caesar’s Designs Jewelry Creations has us calling for him by his first name.
12) Animal instincts prevail with a cheetah-print wallet ($30) by Marc Chantal; available at Lucy.
13) Leopard print ballet flats ($59.90) by Steve Madden; available at Ten Toes.
14) Animal-print watches ($55/curved, $85/medium, $65/large) by Jimmy Crystal; available at Debwal.
15) A must-have for weekend getaways is the Holdall ($89) made of jute and cotton. Available at United Colors of Benetton.
16) What’s not to love about a pair of green linen roll-up pants ($198) and khaki button-down shirt ($156) both by James Perse. 17) Comfortable with a clean silhouette, the seashell medallion necklace ($90) by Maren & Ruby and natural bangle bracelets ($45/ea) make for an easy, natural look. Available at Ona.
18) If there is one piece of green jewelry you should wear for spring—or any season for that matter—make it a pair of 18k noble green-tourmaline dangle earrings ($7,200) by H. Stern. Available at Orr’s Jewelers.
Slip of the Wrist
19) Buckle on a smooth leather and silver-braided bracelet ($395) by Elf Craft. Available at Charles Spiegel.
20) Hip design label DSquared2 brings funky fedoras to the scene with a head-turning number with cherry- red leather trim ($295). Available at Moda.